It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:29 am

Everything that is wrong with HS sports 
mh2365
Site Admin

Post Everything that is wrong with HS sports
and kids these days

apologizing for winning??? forfeiting the game???

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780

Maybe they shouldn't have been pressing but if you school fields a team it is your responsibility to play the game.

My sophomore year in HS our b-ball team was 1-22. We started (including me) 3 sophomores, 1 freshman, and 1 senior. We got beat 109-39 and 104-40 ... both times at the other teams place and they were pressing trying to get to 100 and the crowd was cheering them on. We didn't complain ... it was our job to stop them.

Another team that year had us down 93-45 with about 4 minutes to go and their crowd was chanting 100 .... we stalled and then fouled this guy who blew at the free throw line everytime he touched the ball. He went 3 for 18 in the last 4 minutes and they finished with 98 ... the crowd booed us with every foul and we loved it.

Play the freaking game ... it is whether you win or lose. I hate the no competition crap .... in little league it is okay but if you put on a jersey representing your school then you are there to win, not to make sure everyone has fun.

and in an ode to Dennis Miller .... but that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail
Brooks

Post Re: Everything that is wrong with HS sports
I tend to agree with this. My high school football team got mauled during my freshmen year but we continued to give it all we had.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 am
Mad Bomber

When we moved away from Toronto for a couple of years in the mid-seventies I went to a high school whose football team was just awful, and since it was a small town we only played 8 games the previous year. They had a perfect season 0-8, and the fisrt year I was there the team went 4-3, as they had a new coach, and I thought they were going to elect him mayor of this small town population 3,200.

The guys on the team would get excited when we would play the high school from Cornwall (POP) 45,000 in 1974, and I remember telling one of the guys on the team, if you took all the people in Cornwall, and brought them to CNE Stadium in Toronto you would still have 10,000 empty seats. The look on his face was priceless, as only then did he realize how small the town was we lived in. :lol:

Joe Louis

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:32 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

I heard they fired the coach because he refused to apologize ... he had won like 3 state titles in 10 years ... good for him. They should fire both the AD's for scheduling the game ... what do you think is going to happen when you schedule a team who has won 3 state titles vs. a team who has never won a game?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:01 pm