It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 pm

In defense of Andreas 
mh2365
Site Admin

Post Re: In defense of Andreas
I can't remember the last time I had a 1 cut stoppage ... today I think I had a first for me though ... all the times I've played this game I don't ever remember seeing a guy get up from a knockdown and KO the other guy in the same round ... had it happen this morning.

Thing about the cuts though is that between simmed and fight card fights in one month of the LBA only 5.9% of the fights were stopped because of cuts, so I have a hard time hearing someone say the cut routine is broken. I also wonder if they have an older version of the game because there used to be one cut stoppages all the time and if a guy was cut with more than 2 rounds left you knew the fight was over. It just isn't that way anymore.

Sun May 10, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail
hamed

mh2365 wrote:
I can't remember the last time I had a 1 cut stoppage ... today I think I had a first for me though ... all the times I've played this game I don't ever remember seeing a guy get up from a knockdown and KO the other guy in the same round ... had it happen this morning.

Thing about the cuts though is that between simmed and fight card fights in one month of the LBA only 5.9% of the fights were stopped because of cuts, so I have a hard time hearing someone say the cut routine is broken. I also wonder if they have an older version of the game because there used to be one cut stoppages all the time and if a guy was cut with more than 2 rounds left you knew the fight was over. It just isn't that way anymore.

That's true. If the ref checks it right after that initial cut, that's usually a bad sign that if he doesn't stop it then, he will soon. When you say older, how old - what version?

I don't think I ever had your KO scenario happen either.

I had another champ lose his title last month too due to a cut - Vernon Forest lost his WBC JMW belt due to a cut too to Takaloo. Takaloo sure has had success in my uni - he burst onto my scene years ago via a 3rd round TKO of Oscar, knocked out Mayorga in 4 & now won his old belt back. He was also my WBC ww champ & came back to stop Gatti in 10 brutal rounds to retain that belt too.

Tue May 12, 2009 1:38 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

I think he fixed the cut routine in 1.9 but maybe later you would have to search OOTP (which I can't do :D ) for that answer

Tue May 12, 2009 5:46 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

What this game really needs is the ability for the fight to stop in the corner between rounds. You should even be able to have a box to click in the manager area if you want to stop it.

But there should be a random chance that the fight is stopped depending on the beating the guy took and probably a rating. Should be a sliding scale. If a guy is dropped in the first round it should be a very slim chance as compared to if the guy is down by several points and is dropped in the 9th.

I had a guy who had been down 3 times and was behind by 6 points on all the cards. He was down twice in the 8th ... should have been a high chance that he didn't come out of the corner for the 9th. When you click the start round button it can just go to "boxer B doesn't answer the bell this fight is over" ... or something like that.

It would add a lot to the game.

Mon May 18, 2009 6:52 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

Still cracks me up people complaining about cuts in the game ... remember when it was one punch, cut and fight was stopped?

I've had fights where a cut has been reopened 4 times and the fight isn't stopped. There are as many one cut and the fight is stopped in real life as there are in the game. Problem is a guys favorite fighter loses on a cut and the whole game sucks.

I proved that there aren't that many cuts ... what was it 5.7% of fights stopped by cuts ... that is 100% realistic .... it's just like in OOTP where they bitch about injuries.

I honestly don't think people want it to be realistic ... they want it they way they want it. If Andreas does work on cuts then it needs to be a slider because if there were less stoppages due to cuts then there are in the game now then I would think it was unrealistic and some of the luster would be taken off the game for me.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:03 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

I PM'd the guy who has had the most complaints about cuts and gave him my stats ... of course I am sure he will piss all over them but he has no stats to back up his claim. 5.7% of over 400 fights were stopped because of cuts ... no way around those stats.

Fights watched seemed to have a bit higher % and I plan on keeping track of it again next month but the cuts are not out of line at all .... look at all the fights this year alone (in real life and on TV) stopped because of cuts ... I am sure it is higher than 5.7%

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:34 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

one of the four fights I watched last weekend was stopped because of cuts ... 25% is unrealistic this game needs fixed!

I think it's not the amount of fights stopped because of cuts that is the problem for people, it is who got stopped because of cuts no one wants to see one of their best fighters lose a fight because of cuts. But for every universe being run that has a star lose a fight because of cuts there are 5 more that have fighters that are 46-0.

IRL in addition to docs or refs stopping it because of cuts, fighters often quit on their stool ... the majority of the time those fighters are cut. Chagaev had a bad gash over his left eye in the Klitschko fight ... he quit on his stool .... who knows what part the cut played into that.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:56 am
Jersey-Jim

Lately, I've seen a lot of my big fights stopped on cuts. These are fights that I'm watching and with fighters who didn't get stopped by cuts during their careers. I used random cornermen, not generic ones. I think the idea of being able to stop a fight in between rounds is a great idea and would really add to the game's realism.

The referee also has something to do with fights getting stopped. Some stop fights early, others let it go to the last minute as the punishment piles up and some are in between.

I recently had Bob Fitzsimmons lose on a cut to Mickey Walker in my all-time Middleweight tournament. I had Shane Mosley lose on a cut to Floyd Mayweather about six months ago. And I had Joe Louis lose to Jack Dempsey on a cut in my All-time Heavyweight Tournament's championship match (around the 14th round). All these fights were viewed live. So I think it has something to do with watching a fight live if there is a problem.

None of the fighters above ever lost a fight due to a bad cut. That doesn't mean they couldn't, however. Anything can happen on a single punch. I need to start keeping track of who loses on cuts in my universe fights more closely (the ones that are viewed live). It may be possible that many fighters with a cut rating of 2 should have a 1?

Remember back in the card days? If you had a KDR1 of 3, you were going down. The difference between 2 3, and 4 were huge. Poor Floyd Patterson could get stunned just climbing through the ropes if his head hit the strand of rope just right. I don't know, but for some reason, I don't think Andreas changing the cut "module" is going to be a simple process. I don't know game programming, just web page stuff.

By the way, I just decided during the course of this post that Sugar Shane needs to return to fight newly crowed - Paul Williams in my universe.

The Ultimate, Historical Boxing Simulator
30 Years of Development
Title Bout Championship Boxing!
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/tb/

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:28 am
mh2365
Site Admin

Here is a couple of things that are my opinion only

1) I don't think there are too many fights stopped by cuts, the problem is more of who is stopped by cuts ... like Jim's post above. I think the % are pretty much right on the money if you take into account fighters retiring in their corner like I said above

2) I don't think cuts are perfect ... I think a fight should never be stopped on a cut below the eye ... I think it should be pretty rare on cuts to the nose or lip ... I think it should be a little higher than nose or lips if it happens on the forehead ... but I think a cut over the eye can stop a fight pretty regularly.

3) cuts are a combo of fighter's rating, ref, & cornermen .... if you have a bad corner and get cut the fight will be stopped. The one thing missing is a heart or guts rating. Every fighter should have one ... Gatti or Cotto fights should never be stopped because of a cut ... while guys like Robert Guerrero & Juan Diaz just shut down if they are cut.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:07 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

Bogie wrote:
Kind of sounds pretty bleak for TBCB, he didn't find time (or someone) to work on our game during his down-time from OOTP again this time.
It seems to me we have what we have...where have all the Trunzo's gone

It's amazing how fondly some remember the Trunzo's ... even enough that they think that the Trunzo's programmed :roll:

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm