It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:48 am

Background on conversation(s) re TBCB? 
Luke Gofannon

Post Background on conversation(s) re TBCB?
First post here. I'm very new to TBCB and have not had the time to set up what I guess folks call a "universe." Because I'm so new to the game, I haven't neared a point where I am seeing any of the game's limitations. However, from reading the TBCB forum, I gather there is discontent among veterans who feel the game is being neglected. Hoping not to sound like too much of a greenhorn, but some basic questions I have after reading a numbers of these posts are:

(1) What do people mean by the need for a career mode?
(2) Same question, for "role playing" mode?
(3) When was Version 2.5 released, and were they any big patches after the release date?

Thanks. I figure if I can get a little background with regard to these questions, I can better understand the conversation about the game.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:57 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail
mh2365
Site Admin

Post Re: Background on conversation(s) re TBCB?
Here's the deal with TBCB ... it is basically old school in the fact that you have to have an imagination to enjoy it. That is why you see a bunch of people my age (41) and older who are diehards ... any younger and they grew up in the age of video games ...

The best way to describe the current version of TBCB compared to the RPG or career mode is to ask do you like open ended questions or not?

Current version of TBCB is this question - How would you like to proceed?

While the version some want is like this - Do you want to turn left or right?

They way it is set up now it is up to you on how you schedule, who fights for a title, how you handle young fighters ... and so on ...

What the RPG game would do is a lot like fight night ... in other words you have fighter A in your stable and he is ranked 48th ... he has fights available against fighters ranked 46th to 50th ... pick a fighter ...

To me that is (excuse my drunk language) ass fuck boring .... but you are talking to someone who has a universe going that started in April of 2004 and I play it every single day and still have only managed to get through 14 years in the uni ....

there are a couple of patches for 2.5 and you can probably find them on the website ...

for background I was on the 2.5 development team my major contribution was the "be a judge" idea ... Andreas owns the game and wants it to be successful but he works for OOTP which has nothing to do with TBCB other than allowing it space on it's forum and website ...

FWIW I am also drinking right now so this may seem a bit rambling LOL

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:43 pm
Luke Gofannon

Hey, not rambling at all. Thanks for the answers. I guess I'm from the generation that prefers text-based, stats-driven sims to thumb-twitch arcade games, too. Anyway, I've only just started to wade into the game, and it seems plenty deep to me. So I was a little surprised to see all the posts on the TBCB forum suggesting that the game was almost abandon-ware. Not really knowing the back story, though, I didn't want to completely discount the opinions of those who have a lot more time and energy invested in the sim than I do. Plus, some of the posts reminded me of a situation with a baseball sim I play (Diamond Mind), where a lot of folks (and I'd include myself in the group) are disgusted with the guy who bought out the game and then started devoting all company resources to an online spinoff while allowing the stand-alone version to stagnate. In the case of Diamond Mind, some folks argue that it's simply a matter of economics and that the owner has to do what he has to do to make a buck, while others argue that he's turned his back on customers who supported the game for years and who came to believe the game was something the new owner obviously doesn't understand or appreciate. I'm not sure if the situation parallels that of TBCB, but I did catch on that there's a debate among TBCB players about the future of the game, same as there is with Diamond Mind. Like I said, though, I'm plenty satisfied at this time with TBCB as it is, and I don't have a feeling that there's "something missing." Thanks again for the background.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:59 pm
Jersey-Jim

Hello and welcome to the world of Title Bout Championship boxing. I'm one of those people who it into Mike's category.

1. I've been playing the game for 30-31 years.
2. I'm also drinking.

I have notebooks that are 20 years old filled with Title Bout fight results. How I did it then was like this... when both sides of a sheet of notebook paper were filled up... the year was over. I usually started my "universe" in 1900. Simulating a fight took a lot longer back then with the board version of the game.

These days, it's very fast. You can start out with whatever year you want. Let's say you have your first fight on 1-1-1980. You can schedule 100 fights for that date and sim them. Or, you can have one fight on the 1st, 5 on the 10th, 50 on the 14th, etc. In other words, you control the calendar and how many fights take place in each month. You can move through a "Game Year" as quickly or as slowly as you'd like to.

I really don't know what anyone's talking about with a Career Mode to be honest with you. I haven't had too much interest in it because some fighters have 100-200 plus fights in a career and some are through at 20. I move fighters along as I see fit, changing them to "post-prime" and end based upon how many fights they had in their actually careers... and whether or not they've taken a lot of beatings in my universe.

Title Bout leaves plenty of room for the imagination just like a role playing game (at least in my opinion).

I wish the graphics were a little better than always depicting every fight being between two black fighters. And I wish you could throw the towel in to keep a fighter from getting knocked out. But those are little things.

If you check out all the Universes at the Inside the Ropes section you'll see how others use their imaginations to run their universes.

You can download the Fight Face Packs at www.cornerwork.com. That adds to the realism of a given match-up.
The game is a lot of fun, though, so just jump in and enjoy it. Don't worry too much about the complaints. There are a lot of great elements in there waiting to be discovered!

The Ultimate, Historical Boxing Simulator
30 Years of Development
Title Bout Championship Boxing!
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/tb/

Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:36 pm
Luke Gofannon

Hey, Hey. Don't know how I missed your post, Jim, but thanks for the welcome and all the info.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 pm
mh2365
Site Admin

Don't forget my topless ring card girl mods ... they add a lot to the game too :D

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:11 pm