It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 am

James Kirkland 
Jersey-Jim

Post James Kirkland
I just found an article about James Kirkland. He's probably going to be serving his final 6 months out in a half-way house starting in June. They said he'll be allowed to leave to train between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

His weight shot up in prison to over 200 pounds, but his manager/trainer (Miller) has been in to see him regularly now and his weight is down to around 175 lbs. I can fathom dropping all the way down to 154lbs. again. Maybe 160 is more realistic. Golden Boy Promotions wants to get him back into action during the month of August and possibly have a bigger fight for him in November.

I'm hopeful that his gun buying decision last year was just a blip on the radar that won't come back again. Although he went to jail for armed robbery in 2003, he's a young guy who was starting to make money as well as a name for himself in boxing. It doesn't appear that he was a drug user, either, which is a big plus. Once these guys start using crack/coke, it's usually a downward spiral from there. In his case, he was improving and showing some promise.

While I'm by no means a big fan of his, I still give him the benefit of the doubt that he was buying a gun with his own protection in mind - not another armed robbery attempt!

If a year and a half out of action isn't enough to wake him up, I doubt anything else will. He's now 26 and can pack a lot of action into his prime years (the next four to six years). Not everyone can stick around as long as a Shane Mosley or Hopkins has. With his style of fighting, the next four years are going to be crucial for him.

The Ultimate, Historical Boxing Simulator
30 Years of Development
Title Bout Championship Boxing!
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/tb/

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 am
Profile Send private message E-mail
mh2365
Site Admin

Post Re: James Kirkland
I'll be rooting for him ... like him and I like his trainer

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:59 am
Profile Send private message E-mail